Pages

Friday, May 14, 2021

Gallipolli ww1 diary writing

 Hi there, in my writing class this week and last week we were learning about WW1 in Gallipolli, First we researched and wrote notes then we began a diary writing we had to start with the date then say dear diary and at the end, end it with yours sincerly. 


Here it is:

25.4.1915

Dear diary, unfortunately the landing didn't go according to plan the main force landed on too narrow a front and became intermixed. Making it difficult for the troops to regroup. It is dreadful watching 130,000 men die. I am here writing in a corner in my diary feeling like I wanna go home already. It's just so sad watching my friends get wounded and possibly killed. 

Yours sincerely, Henry


30.4.1915

Dear diary, We made it here safe and sound using horses and boats. The horses were very useful for carrying troops and officers. Nearly all horses came with us over to gallipoli and already about 3% of them died either from a sort of disease or injury once they arrived at gallipoli. Which is very sad and we must remember them. 

Yours truly, Henry


2.5.1915

Dear diary, I haven't written in several days as we’ve been really active lately since the war has started. Here I am hiding in a trench thankfully finding a spot to write for a few minutes. It has been a very long day and I feel drained. Lots of lives have been lost today, shrapnel is firing everywhere, bullets are coming down like rain. The intense fighting is still continuing every day and late at night, it's starting to get hot now that  we are coming into spring. That's all for now gotta get back out there.

Yours, Henry


7.5.1915

Dear diary, today was mail day as in we received our packages we got sent from our family. Lately we have been having a poor diet and we are starving so we are so grateful our family sent us food in our package. It included spam, anzac biscuits, jam and bully beef. It may not sound too good but it was better than what we were getting. I even broke my top front tooth from eating a really hard biscuit.


20.5.1915

Dear diary, I haven't written in a long time. I'm sorry but we have been on the move. The lack of sleep is shocking. We are all very exhausted but we keep going. The rotting flesh of deceased bodies is atrocious so many soldiers of our troop have been in hospital or killed. I'm lucky I'm still alive writing this. There is blood and smoke everywhere. Communication between the Turks and Brits is terrible.

Yours, Henry


25.5.1915

Dear diary, It was a very bad day today. I just woke up in the hospital having shrapnel in my right shoulder. My nurse Margaret said I would get out in a couple of days but first my arm needed to be amputated. I was writing in my diary when suddenly I fell to the ground and woke up in a hospital.I was in a corner when the turks were throwing smoke bombs and shooting shrapnel bullets. I asked my nurse if she could carry on writing in my diary while I tell her what to write. She said of course and I started telling her what to write. 

Yours sincerely, Henry


27.5.1915

Dear diary, Today is the day I go to keep fighting for my country. I finally got out of the hospital. I say thank you to my nurse Margaret for keeping me alive and all safe. She said your welcome and told me I was very brave and was doing a great job fighting for my country. I said see you again Margaret. It was frightening seeing no arm and shoulder. I couldn't bear thinking about having another shoulder amputated. 


11.10.1918

Dear diary, it's Henry's nurse Margret writing. I'm sorry for your loss.  Henry is DEAD. 

Your sincerely, Margret

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post